Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Is Kitchenheimers The First Sign?

google image
This is a repost of an old April A-Z Blogging Challenge from April of 2012 posting. As we age they say that forgetfulness is a problem. For those of us in denial, forgetfulness is a sign that we are getting older. 
The name I have given to a disorder that I swear is possibly the first stages to the dreaded Alzheimer’s that we hear about is Kitchenheimers. Could it be that it first starts out as kitchenheimers

You know the symptoms of it; you walk into the kitchen and can't remember for the life of you what the hell you walked out there for. OR you go to the fridge,
open the door and then can’t remember what you even wanted. Standing there holding the door open. I just screamed at the grandkids, "close that refrigerator door!"

I seem to do this. It is not new. I have suffered for many years. Now it is just getting downright scary. I have never admitted to the doctor that I suffer at times from the dreaded kitchenheimers. He probably knows it already because he likely suffers too!

What tests would he even order to check for this disorder? Does it show up in a CAT scan or MRI? Would he read me a list of items, and then have me from memory go into the kitchen to retrieve them to see how many I can remember to bring back?

The earliest forms of kitchenheimers is called whatjamacallit and thingamajig. I can remember my mom sending me to retrieve the thingamajig on the whatjamacallit many times in childhood and oh my gosh if I were to ask what the heck was the thing I was looking for, “don’t be such a little smart ass" would be her reply.

Was she just too preoccupied with other things? Was this just a ploy to get me out of her hair? I used to think that.

Then I too became a mother and I realized that there were sometimes that I did this to my kids too but they would always ask, is there a prize if we find it? That would snap me back into reality. Oh my God I am turning into my mother.

Well folks, sadly you could be afflicted with kitchenheimers too. I am currently looking for others who are suffering from this disorder. Or possibly a support group would be great! Is there a kitchenheimers anonymous meeting somewhere in town? We need to raise awareness that kitchenheimers is real folks! It must be stopped, in my lifetime!

pic credit: @Google Images

 © 2012 Gossip_GrL

2 comments:

  1. My name is Robyn and I too suffer from Kitchenheimers. I hereby surrender my will to the chocolate gods, so long as this means continued access to things like thingamajigs and whatchamacallits.

    Have a great weekend, Gossip Gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! No matter what the question chocolate is always the answer! :)

      Delete