Thursday, July 17, 2014

Cyberchondria and Menopause

Today is the letter C. My word for today is cyberchondria and don't laugh when I tell you this, but this gets worse with aging. Some time around age forty five is the time that I first noticed some of the early signs which is called, peri-menopause. I started seeking out all of those sites like Web MD to enter all my symptoms in because I really didn't know it was that. I just knew something was terribly wrong, but couldn't figure it out. After clicking and entering all my
symptoms the message said that I needed to seek immediate medical attention because a diagnosis couldn't be determined on the site. Oh yay me! What a barrel of laughs I had that day with ole doc Ticklefingers. I still call that day,  my forty-something nightmare. My diagnoses that day, Peri-Menopause. 

I still don't know what all the medical fuss was about. Women have been going through menopause for thousands of years. It is a natural process, not a disease.

One of the earliest signs is the changes in your monthly cycle. That was the biggie and for me. It sent me into a paranoid spiral of emotions and of course, the cyberchondria didn't help. Thinking about it I guess I am just lucky enough to have survived those perimenopausal years without lasting effects.

For right now we have WebMD and thousands just like it. Cyberchondria, those delightful hours spent entering all of these wonderful signs and symptoms into WebMD. Fan them to your Facebook page to get daily updates, I did. Their latest article, What Not to Eat After Age 50 is a long list and damned near everything that I like eating. After reading it, my cyberchondria kicked into full gear and I quickly sent an email "Help! I've eaten corn in the last 24 hours what should I do?" If you suffer from Cyberchondria, that affliction and hormones do not play well together. 

Resources for this post:
Reposted from the 2013 A-Z Blog Challenge
pic credit: I made it using RottenECard 
©Gossip_Grl 

No comments:

Post a Comment