Monday, August 18, 2014

A Trip Down Hormone Lane

Reposted from the 2013 April A-Z Blogging Challenge for the letter H and I've decided to take A Trip Down Hormone Lane. Along for the ride my new menopausal friends. Itchy Dry Skin, Hot
flashes, Bloated, Slow Metabolism, Sleepless Nights, Crazy Dreams, I Need A Nap and I can't forget Moody Patooty plus two Bitchy and Psycho.

Oh, they are all a lot of laughs to have around me, daily. It's hours of fun here at my house I tell you. I am actually thinking about claiming all of them on my taxes next year. If I am going to be supporting them and they don't have jobs I should be able to claim them right?

The trip on Hormone Lane is like a Pandora's Box as we travel to our first stop on the trip. It is The Follicle Stimulating Hormone Test. This is the test that
your doc does to determine your hormone levels. This test determines where you are at in hormone years. I got tested early, at forty-five and that is when it was determined that I was in what they refer to as Perimenopausal years. At age 48, I was full-blown menopause. Did you know that you can now purchase this little test OTC? It works just like a pregnancy test stick. Understanding the hormones will be your first test on the journey. Many of the problems associated with menopause are when our hormones are all out of kilter and out of balance. 

The first hormone on the trip is Estrogen. This one is pretty important. We all have levels of estrogen and when we are younger it is much easier for us ladies to regulate them. As we age they can sometimes get confused and it can become a little harder to regulate especially after that monthly visitor disappears. Too much estrogen can result in weight gain, thyroid problems, and low libido. Too low estrogen level can cause changes in body temperature which could include hot flashes and chills, chronic joint pain that gets progressively worse, water retention which could lead to a sudden weight gain, bouts with depression and anxiety and recurrent back pain. It can also result in loss of memory, night sweats, itchy dry skin, vaginal dryness, loss of libido and fragile bones. For the ladies in your menopausal years Flax Seed, Soy Isoflavones and Yam supplements are good for helping to maintain these levels.

Next on our stop is Testosterone. Yes ladies while testosterone is a dominant male hormone, we also carry it, but in lower forms. There are occasions when we can have too much. If this level is too high it can result in unwanted facial and body hair where we ladies don't normally grow hair. Your muscle mass may change and you become muscular and your voice can deepen. Others include rapid onset weight gain, acne, and profuse sweating. An enlarged clitoris and female pattern balding are also indicators that your level of testosterone is too high. Too low testosterone levels can lead to low sexual desire, lack of fantasies, lack of sensitivity to sexual stimulation and lack of orgasms. It is also known to cause flabbiness, weak muscles, low energy, poor coordination. 

Boy, doesn't that sound like a bag of wonderful to have to cope with? Uh not, I'll pass! I already have a fear of the Fairy Yak Woman that was mentioned on Day F and confused some of you. In women of menopause age, Black Cohosh is good for helping keep your levels regulated. It also helps to follow a low carbohydrate/diabetic eating plan. Adding fruit, salad, fish, poultry, and nuts to your diet can help to reduce testosterone levels. Consuming a lot of fried, sugary and oily foods can contribute to testosterone increases and weight gain as well. 

The last stop on the trip is Progestogen or as it better known in menopause circles as Progesterone. I like to call this one the Feng Shui of Menopause because of the balance of both estrogen and testosterone during menopause. Doctors will often suggest treating you with HRT's and for the rest of us, they want to throw in antidepressants. Oh no, not me. I opted out of taking the HRT cocktail and laughed at the thought of taking antidepressants when all I did was ask the doc why some older women get facial hair.

My balance or Menopausal Feng Shui include My daily Vitamin, Remifemin and Daily supplements of Yam and Progestin Cream. I also included Relacore which is a dieting supplement. I take it not for dieting although if I can get some of those benefits that is great too. I take it because it does help with Reducing Stress and Mild Anxiety, midday fatigue and gives me a little energy. I am getting a little more a lot more diet conscience and watching what I eat. I have added complex carbs and more whole grains, more vegetables, and fruits to my diet and am watching my sodium. Now, just because this is my Feng Shui doesn't mean the same is beneficial to everyone reading this. I did a lot of reading and research for myself based on my FSH test. It has helped to have a knowledgeable homeopathic lady working in my local health food store. I'm sure there are some thinking, Really! From reading your postings I wouldn't be able to tell you are balanced! Well, folks writing about it keeps it in balance too... All of it The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!


Enjoy the days because soon you will find yourself standing at the intersection of...


Resources for this post:
pic credit: Menopause Lane Menopause 101

pic credit: Memory Lane Sent to my Facebook

©Gossip_Grl 

No comments:

Post a Comment